Deep Comp- 8/22/16
Ladies and Gentlemen, today is day one of Cycle 2 (August 22- October 15th). Our theme for Cycle 2 is mastery and segmentation. You can expect to see segmentation between aerobic engine work, weightlifting, and gymnastics. We want you guys to put all your focus into developing each of these three areas of your fitness, as they will provide the proper foundation for the rest of the year and lead into Cycle 3 (de-segmentation and interference). There will be mono-structural cardiovascular workouts three times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). These sessions are recommended first thing in the morning in a fasted state and will help improve your work capacity across the board, from recovering quicker between weightlifting sets to optimal performance 27 weeks from now in the Open.
Now, we understand that we're not full time athletes training for the Olympics, so we will be realistic and flexible with these new expectations. This is not an all or nothing venture, we are just doing our best to set you up for success this season, so here are some guidelines to get the most out of this cycle:
- Rest one day every week. No exceptions.
- Complete all "engine" workouts. No exceptions.
- If you are limited on time and cannot workout twice a day, start with the engine workout and proceed to the weightlifting and gymnastics based on your weaknesses.
- Thursdays can be used to make up an engine workout, so long as they are completed at a normal comp class time alongside a teammate.
- Consult Chip or Eric if you have any questions.
Caveat: This is work in progress for all of us. Some policies may change as we go in order to best serve our athletes. At the end of the day, the goal here is to best prepare Team Deep for The 2017 Crossfit Games Season.
Session 1: (Engine)
10 Rounds (30 Minutes)
90s A/B at a fast pace
90s A/B at a recovery pace
- Your "fast" interval should be slightly faster than your pace for the 10 minute test. Don't go all out, we will be building on this score. List total calories and your pace for both intervals.
Session 2: (Weightlifting)
A. Push Press + Jerk: Find a max 5+1, then perform one drop set at 95% and 90%
B. Back Squat: Find 5 Rep max, then perform one drop set at 95% and 90%
C. Clean Grip Stiff Leg Deadlift: 5 x 5 at 80% (off clean)
- Don't spend any longer than 15 Minutes working to five rep maxes on part A and B. We want A-C to take no longer than an hour.
Session 1 or 2: (Gymnastics)
D. Strict Pullups: 3 x 8-10 (22x1) (rest 2 minutes)
*If you cannot perform 10-12 reps, perform ~75% of your max
E. 4 x 15 Chest to Bar Pullups (rest 60-120s)
F. Spend 10-15 minutes rolling out your lats, forearms, hamstrings and back. It's going to be a long week one..